Sunday, February 6, 2011

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

I've been promising more wedding photos since my sneak peek back in the Fall. Since there are almost 1000 photos to choose from I've decided to split the day into... The First Look, Fun Photos, The Ceremony & Reception etc.

First, I'll share a little about my Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed & Something Blue... (maybe not in that order)


Something Blue
In university I joined Alpha Delta Pi Sorority which will always be special to me for so many reasons. Alpha Delta Pi is about scholarship, leadership, philanthropy and lifelong friends. Because our colours are blue & white, on my wedding day, I wore my diamond shaped badge with sapphires and pearls pined to the under layer of my dress as my "Something Blue".


 My ADPi sorority gals and I at our wedding reception.


Something Borrowed
On my wedding day, my mom let me wear her diamond stud earrings. Although there's isn't much of a history behind them, it was simply a pleasure and a privilege to wear them. Thanks Mom!


Something New
My wedding dress of course! Finding a wedding dress wasn't easy. My first thought was always "Will Ryan like it?". Everyone would always try to reassure me... "Of course he will... He will love whatever dress you wear". Well, I wasn't so convinced... Every time I pulled out a bridal magazine or turned to "Say Yes, To The Dress" he made comments about how all the dresses were too poofy, too sparkly, too lacy, too frilly or too plain. How would I ever choose something just right?

One day, it happened! One of my bridesmaids, Corie, and I set out to a particular bridal store downtown. To our surprise, we came upon several more bridal shops right in the area. After trying on about 10 dresses, in the first shop, I was discouraged again. But Corie and the consultant were not ready to give up on me. They encouraged me to try on just one more dress. And guess what...? It was the ONE! It could not have been more ME. It fit perfectly and seemed to meet all the must haves and must not haves on my list. HOOORAY!!!! You'll have to wait for the "First Look" photos to see Ryan's reaction :)





Something Old
I had two beautiful and meaningful pieces for something old.

The first one, my Nana's flower shaped diamond ring. I remember my Nana (Dad's mom) always wore beautiful rings and jewellery and I feel so honoured to have worn one of those pieces.



The second piece of something old was from my mother in law. It was the string of pearls she wore on her wedding day, given to her by her mother. These pearls are especially meaningful, because she passed away a little more than a month before our wedding. She so so so badly wanted to make it to the wedding.

After she passed, the pearls were chosen for me by Ryan and his siblings on her behalf. I know she would have been so delighted and touched to see me wear them on our wedding day. They were an absolute perfect compliment to my dress. Maybe one day I can pass them on to one of her future granddaughters.



Ryan's Something Old
After his mom passed, Ryan and his siblings (their father passed away a couple years prior) had the difficult task of sorting through their parents personal belongings. During this process, is when they decided to gift the pearls to me. Ryan also found some gold and silver cuff links that belonged to his Dad with the letter "D" (for their family name) engraved in them.


Although his parents were not physically with us on our wedding day, they were present in our hearts. His cuff links and my pearls also served as very meaningful mementos.


All Photos (except the two of my sorority gals and I - Thanks Megan!) by Mairen at Luckygirl Photography

What special mementos served as your Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and Something Blue? I would love to hear stories about your special day!

8 comments:

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

These photos are lovely, your dress is beautiful!! I didn't do the something old etc. thing, I forgot until the day... :)

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

I loved hearing about your old, new, borrowed and blue - so special!

XO
Lenore

Stacey said...

Loved reading about your something old, something new, something borrowed and blue. Awww... Your dress is so stunning too! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pics. XX

The Zhush said...

HI! Your wedding photos are fabulous, thanks for sharing them here along with the great traditions behind them!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Great photos- So nice of you to share the pic and the story behind them.

Diana Mieczan said...

Awww that is such a beautiful post and I loved reading about your something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. Awww..you look stunning and the dress is amazing!!!! Hugs and kisses, sunshine

Kelly said...

I love that you wore jewelry that meant something to you. I think that's far more lovely than picking out something at Macy's that matches.

Mark Warner said...

Great knowledge, do anyone mind merely reference back to it
Flower Girl Dresses

Post a Comment