Wednesday, November 10, 2010

We Named Her "Sofia": Before & After Framing

My sister in law came into the gallery a few weeks ago to see what ideas I had about re-framing a piece of artwork she recently inherited. This beautiful original painting, very dear to her, was purchased by my mother in law while in Paris in the 60's.


We could see from the sticker on the back that she had it custom framed at Eaton's. The frame was chipped, cracked and outdated. The artwork was in need of a well deserved update.


We looked at several different mat & frame combinations and decided on a neutral ivory top mat with a rust coloured accent. I love how the rust accent mat brings out and compliments the soft blue sky so well. We chose this frame because it had a contemporary yet rustic quality and the geometric component worked really well with the buildings in the background.




Most of the frames I use in the gallery are from a company called Larson Juhl which are grouped by collection and then by number. The name of the collection of our selected frame was called "Sofia". Beautiful! So this is what we're naming her.

Here's a Before & After...


What do you think of "Sofia" in her fresh new look? Isn't she beautiful?!?!

.

4 comments:

Jude said...

What an incredible difference! You're so inspiring me to do something about an outdated frame that's almost exactly like the 'before' Sofia. Trouble is I haven't been able to figure out exactly how to change it, but I think I know now! Lovely :)

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

It's gorgeous Jenny! I love love seeing a photo framing before and after makeover...brilliant!

XO
Lenore

Michele said...

I have always loved this painting and now she seems even more alive and beautiful than before. Looking at the before and after- she looks so pale in the original framing. I love how "Sofia" now pops right off the canvas! Jenny - thank you - you've given new life to this old and dear painting! I love it - you are the best! I can't wait to hang her in my new Las Vegas home!

Krystal said...

That is a very cool picture, I love it with the black frame=)

Post a Comment