Saturday, October 30, 2010

Please Excuse The Mess...

Last Saturday was the last day of Rick Bond's solo exhibition in the gallery and Thursday November 4th is the opening for the 'New Gallery Artists' show. So this week, was what I like to call transition week, the week in between shows.

Normally I like to keep the gallery fairly tidy but transition week is a totally different story. No matter how hard I try, it's inevitable that the gallery gets a bit cluttered. New paintings for the upcoming show are arriving every day and we are getting ready to frame and hang all the featured works. Meanwhile pieces are still coming in from other gallery artists and we need to find places to hang or store the unsold works from the previos show. Here's a visual...





I find myself saying "please excuse the mess" multiple times a day with a short reference to the transition between shows. I always want to make a good impression on gallery visitors and I would hate for any newcomers to think it's always this way. This also gives me an opportunity to introduce myself and the upcoming show. However, in a way, some people seem to love the clutter and chaos. I think it gives them the feeling they are part of an unveiling of new works. 



As much as it feels like we're never going to find places to put everything and get it all done, it always works out just in time for opening night.

The 'New Artists 2010' exhibition featuring Melissa Jean, Brandy Lynn and Peter Wyse opens on Thursday November 4th. If you live in Winnipeg please pop by Woodlands Gallery at 535 Academy Road between 6:30 to 9:00 pm to help us give these three new artists a warm welcome to our list of represented artists. Melissa Jean and Brandy Lynn will be in attendance.

6 comments:

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

I love how you think that is messy :p It's just the most adorable space ever!

Kayla said...

Happy Halloween. I love the space. Keep the mess.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

Jude said...

Oh, but how exciting! Despite the transition look, it feels like you're moving towards a great new season - and even the mess looks pretty artful & inspiring :)

Stacey said...

Congrats to you! What mess are you talking about?:-) Awesome space!

Krystal said...

Your gallery looks lovely!!

ag. said...

I love the look...I think when I go into a gallery that's in transition, it feels exciting because you never know what's coming next! Your gallery looks wonderful!

Post a Comment