Tuesday, September 7, 2010

San Francisco in Jell-O

I'm getting so excited!!! Our honeymoon in San Francisco is coming up very soon. This will be the 1st of 2 if we're lucky - we're hoping to escape to an all inclusive beach resort sometime in the winter.

I love planning trips and doing research so that I make the most of the experience. I'm quickly learning that you could probably spend a lifetime in San Francisco and not experience it all. So needless to say it's tough trying to squeeze it all into one week. Last night while I was reading Fodor's San Francisco 2010: With The Wine Country and came across a web site with this description "... for photos of a model of SF made from Jell-O"

Hmmm this sounds interesting... Immediately I reached for my iTouch and searched the address. WOW! The coolest most colourful artwork popped up. You can click on the images for more detailed views.


View from Alcatraz, 2007, C-Print
12"x38"  26"x84"
editions of 20

Liz Hickok is a San Francisco-based artist working in photography, video, sculpture, installation, and currently, Jell-O. Read more about Liz here and her extensive resume here. The following is a quote from her artist statement "I create glowing, jellied scale models of urban sites, transforming ordinary physical surroundings into something unexpected and ephemeral. Lit from below, the molded shapes of the city blur into a jewel-like mosaic of luminous color and volume." Read the rest of her statement here.


After she makes the molds and fills them with jello, she creates installations for public viewing as well as professional photographs that are made into prints available for purchase.


The City, 2005, C-print
16"x30" (sold out)  35"x65" (sold out)
edition of 12
Alamo Square, 2004, C-print
12"x16" (sold out)
  30"x40" (available)
edition of 12
Bay Bridge, 2005, C-print
12"x24"
(sold out)  30"x60" (available)
edition of 12
Palace of Fine Arts, 2006 , C-Print
12"x16"   36"x48"
editions of 12
There are so many creative people out there! Beautiful art can be made even from Jell-O!

5 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

That looks incredible...and its all made out of Jell-o? Amazing!!!
How fun that you are going to San Francisco for your honeymoon:) So sweet:)
Thank you so much for all your lovely comments:)
Kisses and see you soon:)

ps: I am hosting a really cute GIVEAWAY, so please join in:)

Stacey said...

AMAZING! I can't believe that these were created from Jello! Your upcoming honeymoon sounds exciting too. I'm sure you must be thrilled! Thanks for your comments and for following. I'm also following back:-) Happy Wednesday! xx

the chirpy bird said...

OMG! This is absolutely incredible!!!
Just love it!
xo tash

The Many Colours of Happiness said...

Second honeymoon? (I hope I read that right!), what a fantastic idea!! Because of the wedding my partner and I had to scale down our honeymoon plans, I love the idea of saving for another one! :) And I never knew Jello was so versatile!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

This is a really cool concept.
I happen to not like Jello on account of its texture but as a medium I think it is genius.

I wonder how long each of the works generally lasts.

Post a Comment