Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fabric Inspiration for a Sweet Side Chair

Lately I've been thinking a lot about fabric. Ever since Lenore at Lather.Write.Repeat posted Etsy Love: Skinny Laminx showing some beautiful fabrics she ordered, I've been thinking about what fabric I'll use to recover a sweet side chair I inherited from my grandfather.


I went over to my parents place earlier this evening to take this photo (I store a few pieces there that are waiting to be refinished one day) and I learned a neat little piece of info about this chair. When my dad was little, my grandfather (Papa, to my sister & brother and I) actually took this chair from a neighbors trash. He refinished the wood himself and had it professionally re-upholstered. So it seems I am not the first one to take in this little chair and give it some love.


 

I plan to sand it and either re-stain or paint it dark and re-cover the seat with something more contemporary. I would like to use the chair in my living room. However, we'll be painting and redecorating in the next couple of years (let's hope I get to it before then) so I'll probably stick to a primarily black and cream pattern. With this in mind, here are some of my favorites...

I found this one here

This one here

This one here

This one here

This would be a great splash of colour!
This one here

This one here

I thought this one was really neat
This one here

This one here

Wow I could spend hours browsing fabric online. There are so many neat designs and project ideas. I would love to make cushions, tablecloths, bags, curtains... ooooh the inspiration.

Have you ever re-upholstered anything before? Which fabric do you think best suits my side chair?

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

Your chair is beautiful! And what a lovely history it has. :) I've got a few pieces that I'm plan on re-upholstering pretty soon...except I've *never* re-upholstered anything before. Should be interesting!

Diana Mieczan said...

That chair is so beautiful:)
All the fabrics would look great on it and I love the Paris one the most:)
Have a wonderful Monday my dear:)
Kisses

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

What a great chair! I love the first one and the last ones the best. Can't wait to see the after!!

PS thanks for the mention!

XO
Lenore

Post a Comment