Monday, August 30, 2010

Mmmmm Cheese

On Saturday a friend had a birthday/house warming party and the theme was CHEESE. Mmmm my favorite, what a great idea!

Immediately I knew the place to go. G. J. Andrews (formerly Stephen & Andrews) is a local specialty food & wine shoppe on Academy Road near the gallery. They sell everything from your everyday grocery needs along with all sorts of delicious gourmet foods, a lovely selection of wine, perfectly tender & aged meats, fresh fish and seafood and an overwhelming selection of Canadian and imported cheeses. It was so hard to decide what types of cheeses to buy so they let me sample a couple... like that made my decision any easier. 

Here's what I went with...

Red Dragon: A Welsh cheddar with mustard seeds & Welsh ale aged for 3 month. The mustard seeds add great flavor and a delicious amount of spice and texture. Would go perfectly on a roast beef sandwich!

Port Salut: A creamy, semi-soft cheese made from cow's milk. Perfect for cheese & crackers and of course a nice glass of wine.

Blueberry Wensleydale: A traditional British cheese aged at only 3 weeks. It's moist, a bit crumbly, has a bit of tang from the blueberries and a honey like after taste. A great dessert cheese.

There was a mouth watering selection of cheeses at the party from brie, gouda, wine marbled, blue cheese and so on. My two favorites that I had never tried before were...  

1. Thai Curry cheese which I could not stop eating. It was the texture of a mozzarella or cheddar, looked just like a spicy yellow/green curry sauce and had an incredible flavor. Yum!  

2. A Dark Chocolate cheese... YES I said CHOCOLATE! You could have fooled me because this cheese had the taste and texture of a real dark chocolate fudge. Now this is a dessert cheese!

On my next visit to G. J. Andrews I will sure be checking to see if they have these two unique flavors. I know you'll be checking your local cheese shop too!

3 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Yum!
Port Salut is one of my hubby's favs- I love moldy and stinky and old!

I am inspired to throw a cheese party!

What a great idea!

Have a nice week!

Krystal said...

i just ate SO MUCH cheese tonight! yum, it's so good :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Yummy...that is one amazing party...I love love love cheese...but you know that already...haha:)
Kisses

Post a Comment